Precision Tank Testing
We currently offer computerized storage tank testing which is the latest technology available in the industry. This advanced test system is designed to give accurate on-site results in less than 90 minutes. First Action uses tank testing methodology which meets or exceeds all state and federal EPA requirements and our company is licensed by the state to test regulated underground tanks.
Specifically, our tank testing involves a two part procedure. The first part is the Precision Tank Test which checks the integrity of the filled portion of the tank by measuring the changes in the net buoyancy forces on an electronic probe. The second part, the Ullage Test, checks the integrity of the empty portion of the tank and the piping using acoustical profiling to determine if there is a leak.
How it works
Filled portion test – evaluates the portion of the tank that is filled with liquid.
- Our technician lowers an electronic probe and electronic load cell into the tank through the fill pipe.
- The electronic probe is suspended inside the tank and hangs from the load cell. The probe actually floats in the liquid fuel inside the tank approximately 1” from the tank bottom.
- The electronic probe and cell measure minute changes in mass of the liquid fuel inside the tank. Measuring mass changes eliminates the need to correct for the liquid fuel’s temperature expansion and contraction.
- Specifically, if water enters the tank, the electronic probe rises. If liquid fuel leaks from the tank, the probe falls. These changes in mass are instantly recorded in a unit called a data logger.
- The data logger readings are transferred to a computer, which transforms the readings into a graphic illustration of the integrity of the liquid fuel portion of the tank.
Empty portion test – evaluates the empty portion of the tank and piping.
- Our technician lowers a digital acoustical probe inside the tank.
- The probe monitors the acoustical signals in the empty portion of the tank and piping.
- Our computer converts these acoustical signals into a graphic & acoustical profile of the integrity of the empty portion the tank and associated piping.
First Action Testing Advantages:
In addition to tank testing, First Action offers underground tank location services and soil testing. We will certify the absence or existence of abandoned underground storage tanks on the property using specially designed underground storage tank detectors. We also have a reliable procedure for determining whether the soil is free of contamination. We recommend our soil testing procedure exclusively for inactive or abandoned underground tanks.